HISTORY

HISTORY

  White’s Church was established in 1812 by two Quaker men who had been turned out of their church because they fell in love with and married Methodist girls. They decided to build a sanctuary of their own halfway between the homes of the two young couples.

  Filed in the Clerk’s office in Rustburg and written by hand in fine penmanship on parchment, there is a record of a transaction dated December 11,1811 and record January 12,1812, transferring two acres from Robert White and John DePriest “to the Methdoist Episcopal Church forever.” This deed to White’s Church, named for Robert White, the former owner of the land.

  The record gives four trees as markers: a black gum, a maple, a spanish oak and a pine , and states that the spring is included and gives the “beginning on a branch below the spring ‘cald’ the head of turkey creek.”

  The original church with its broad boards, small pointed windows and huge stone steps still stands though a number of changes have been made to the interior. The pews have been arranged with an aisle down the middle, whereas in former days there were two aisles, one on each side, and the pews were separated in the center by a board partition, with the men sitting to the right of the minister and the women to the left, as was the custom. The old box stove in the center of the church has been removed, as have the big square wooden spittoons, sandfilled and one to a pew, on the men’s side of the room. The “Amen” corners have been abandoned and the the old slave gallery removed.

   New addition include the recess for the pulpit and choir, Sunday School classroooms , a Fellowship building , a graded lawn and a concrete walk.